Leisure
In the course of history, the name of our village (which is of Illyrian origin) has been spelled Riets, Rietsch, Riecz, Ryetsch, and Rietz. Rietz was first mentioned in historical documents in the year 1264. As verified by a tax list, Rietz has already been an independent municipality in 1325. Until 1282, Rietz was part of Hörtenberg county but since then has been incorporated into Petersberg court near Silz. In 1965, the Tyrolean government awarded the following coat of arms to our municipality: two late Gothic churches facing each other in silver on green ground and above them a Baroque church in frontal view.
Tourist attractions in Rietz:
The museum of local history is located in the primary school of Rietz. It can be visited at any time when the school is open. During the holidays, tours have to be booked in advance.
Our village’s three churches:
The parish church is dedicated to St. Valentine. This late Gothic building was first mentioned in 1369.
The Church of St. Antonius is the place for all those who have lost something. This Rococo-style pilgrimage church was built in 1773. The hill is expected to have accommodated an early medieval castle before.
At the Kalvarienberg (which the locals call “Bargl”), was built in the middle of the 18th century. There were several reasons why this sacral site was built but primarily it is due to the fact that local citizens wanted to depict the Passion of Christ as vividly as possible.
In 1644, the Holy Cross Church was built. This small church was renovated in 1985.
Parish church Hl. Valentin

Church of Hl. Antonius

Holy Cross Church
